9/11 Victim Compensation Fund Claim Procedures
Many who attempt to make 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund claims on their own report that the process tends to be complex, highly detailed, and time consuming.
First, know that there are several main components of the process:
- Receiving a positive diagnosis for one of the covered cancers or other health issues
- Having that diagnosis certified by the WTC Health Program as being related to 9/11
- Registering and creating an account with the September 11th Victim CompensationFund
- Submitting the completed Claim Form, plus all required documentation, any case-specific ‘appendix’ forms, and the Private Physician Packet
- Receiving the VCF’s determination of whether your claim satisfies eligibility requirements
- If your claim is eligible, the VCF determines the monetary amount of your compensation
- Going through the appeals process if you feel the award given is not satisfactory
Learn more about the required sequence and deadlines for these actions. Registering with the Fund now allows you the opportunity to make a claim later.
Only accurate and complete claim forms are accepted. The claims review process can be unforgiving of mistakes or omissions.
Be prepared: detailed instructions on submitting 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund claims claims must be read and understood. Hundreds of questions will need to be answered, some requiring research and/or verification. Dozens of documents will need to be acquired, prepared and submitted. These may include medical records, as well as receipts and documentation for previous expenses.
After the review of your claim has begun, VCF officials may contact you with requests for additional answers and documentation, before approving any victims compensation fund payouts.
Due to the complexity of the process, 80% of those seeking financial recovery from the Victims Compensation Fund work with an attorney who is experienced in making successful claims.
We've handled thousands of VCF claims and know how to streamline the process, avoid common mistakes and pitfalls, simplify the steps for the victim, and increase the possibility of a positive outcome.
September 11th victims who work with the right attorneys generally feel more confident about getting fair compensation for their medical care, related expenses, and non-economic losses.
Find out how Kreindler & Kreindler can make it easier to get the financial award you deserve.
Click below to understand the difference it will make to have the team on your side that has been advocating for 9/11 victims since that fateful day.
There are no out-of-pocket costs or fees for working with Kreindler. According to VCF rules, law firms are entitled to a fee of no more than 10% of the victims compensation fund payouts they recover for you.